Sunday, September 26, 2010

Blog Post #5

The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom

     I liked this video about how podcasting can be beneficial. Though I do own an iPod and an iTouch I have never listened to podcasts. I do like the idea of podcasting for students who miss class due to illness or fieldtrips. It would be a great way to do reviews also. With the testing used in the curriculums today there is very little time left for review. The reviews could be done via podcasts for the students who needed it. I know at times when I was in school reviews seemed very boring if I already knew the information. I also like the fact that podcasts can be used as a way to inform parents of what is going on. Parent-Teacher conferences and Open House Nights seem to be fading out as everyone has very hectic schedules and cannot always meet at one time.

Judy Schwarf’s Podcast Collection

     Wow! This is amazing how organized all of her information is. The step by step instructions, the topics and the questions make podcasting seem very easy to do in a classroom. Although outside of a technology based class, I don’t know how realistic it would be to spend 17 class periods on podcasting. The student’s podcasts that she has available are very creative and well-done, proof that her instructions are complete and easy, even for students.

Langwitch’s Blog

     This is a very creative way to use podcasts. I think that it builds confidence in the young children who participate in the podcasts and gives them a better understanding of what they are learning. When I was going through school I know that if I could tell someone else about something or explain it, I was the one that benefitted from it. I think this is true for these students also-that by creating the podcasts and taking on the roles of different characters they are benefitting themselves and those who listen to the podcast.

2 comments:

  1. Regina,

    You made a great point about technology ... Though I do own an iPod and an iTouch I have never listened to podcasts. We have so many technological tools available to use these days for education and sometimes it just takes a little instruction on how to use them. In this case, you learned about podcasts and now you will make one and them you will have the ability to teach others. This truly is an example of the learning process at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Regina, I actually think that podcasts would be great to use for people who are unable to make class or school for the day because it would be so much more convenient for the teachers and students. I'm sure any teacher would love this. I also agree that using podcasts as a way to inform parents of school functions can be a lot more effective. Also, in your last paragraph I love that you make the point that teaching is the best way to learn. When students have to explain and and teach something through a podcast, it truly is a better way to learn.

    ReplyDelete