Sunday, October 3, 2010

Blog Post #6

The Networked Student

     This video was made very simply but made great points. It is a never ending search for information. Many students use the internet more than a textbook even if a textbook is given for the course. The connections that can be made with other people to discuss the topics are also great for the learning process. This makes students feel that they actually have a say in the class rather than just memorizing information. The teacher is mainly there to help the student make the proper choices in which sites to trust. In my personal opinion I would hope that the teacher would also actually teach some and not just let the computer do the work.

A 7th Grader’s Personal Learning Environment

     I like this video and how she seemed excited to show what she had created. The video is very informative about the different options she has to store information and about the projects that she used them for. I enjoyed seeing what she had done rather than just showing the buttons to click. The paperless classroom is something I think a lot of students would enjoy. I like having paper copies of some information but on some stuff I would rather see it on a computer in an organized fashion. Not having to take a pencil to class everyday would also save a lot of time in class for the children who don’t have one.

The Machine Is Changing Us

     This video is so true. The world is changing and a lot of it is influenced by internet and TV (media). Almost everyone has a cell phone now, many of which can connect to the internet anywhere. I love my phone and without it I would not know a lot of the information I do. My phone is how I connect and keep up with people throughout the day. Children are starting to own phones at a younger and younger age. When I was 8 years old a cell phone was out of the question and having a computer with dial up internet was simply awesome. I like this change though- I like the quickness of knowing what is going on around the world.

1 comment:

  1. You write "I would hope that the teacher would also actually teach some and not just let the computer do the work." I am not sure I understand what you mean by that. In the Spring 2010 term one student told me: "Dr. Strange, this course really bothers me. I want you to teach me so I don't have to learn." Are you saying the same thing? I think you might be since you say the computer does the work. That is incorrect. You do the work. Is that what bothers you? Would you rather be spoon facts to memorize and then burp back rather than be given problems to address and solve? Would you rather have the teacher tell you what he or she thinks so you will be sure to agree with them? Do you want to avoid having to think about what you believe or have concluded? Maybe not, since you seem to value thinking rather than memorizing. Maybe you were just expressing your desire to be a teacher, to have some role to play in the process of learning. But you have already outlined at least part of that role. Maybe you want to be recognized as knowing some facts which you think are important. I am just not sure where you stand. I can't figure out what you mean.

    This is an extremely interesting issue in my opinion. Why don't you and I have a conversation for your interview assignment with this as the core point for discussion? I would appreciate that very much. Please contact me so that we can arrange it.

    ReplyDelete