Saturday, October 16, 2010

Additional Assignment #2

     I think anyone is capable of teaching themselves. We do this all the time, just not on the scale that this video shows. If I don’t know the answer to something and I need it, I will find it- that’s teaching myself. Motivation does play a big part in this as well as how important the answer I am looking for is. If someone encourages me or gives me a reason to do something I will probably try harder that I do when I’m alone. I don’t think there are any certain conditions that are necessary for someone to teach themselves- you can learn based on the resources that you are provided with or make your own. A computer with internet access absolutely helps but if someone was truly passionate about something and was motivated to learn it, they could probably find means of figuring it out. Computers and internet access puts everything at a child’s fingertips and makes searching and finding answers much simpler. Giving a child a computer and a question will result in an answer-they can translate and search the required information to answer the question. Motivating someone to learn plays off the person’s interests; if you can find something that the child is interested in then they will be more enthusiastic about learning. I teach myself daily to do new things. When I go to work I do not know what is going to happen that night and I don’t have all the answers but with guidance from other employees, customers and the computer system I can have a successful night. Teachers are important, even in a computer based environment, because they provide the support and guidance to make an individual not give up when they struggle. When I watched the video about How Kids Teach Themselves it pulled emotions about me wanting to be a teacher and the thought of a computer that does the same thing. It made me wonder why am I doing this if a computer can do it? I have always wanted to be a teacher, to help others and to watch children develop. I like the concept of computers in education but I do not think that computers should completely teach children. It makes me feel as if teachers are not valued. As a teacher is my purpose to actually TEACH or am I going to become a babysitter in a computer filled classroom? I think computers and technology are great…but only in moderation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment