Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blog Post #8

This Is How We Dream

     I think everyone today writes using multimedia. I cannot remember the last time I turned in a hand-written paper. Word processing took the forefront when I was in high school and for teachers it made grading papers a lot easier. Even papers that were written in class were completed using small typing centers that could be connected to a computer and then printed. Libraries and books are barely used anymore, as stated in the video, because of internet at the fingertips. The possibilities that the computer has given us are endless.
     When I was a young child we did not have a computer in our home until I was in the third grade and I can still remember it being a privilege to get to use it. Computers were meant for adults only, for real work and businesses. In the United States today it seems that children have their own computers when they are very young- they can use these to keep in contact with their friends, complete assignments and even play games. Children that are being raised around computers have better understanding of what can be done using computers (which is why it is important that I catch up…NOW).
     The internet provides information on any topics in an organized way in seconds. Information that is contained in the books at the library can be found online with just a few clicks but also new information is constantly being added. Newspapers and journals often post articles online making it possible for me to go online in the morning and find the scores from last night’s game and important information. Writing using multimedia is all around us.

Chipper and EDM310 for Dummies

     I like the video between Chipper and Dr. Strange. This video reminds me of so many students I was in high school with (and those that I have in the classes I sub for). Everyone has excuses and their own agenda but many do not think about the consequences or the requirements involved.
     The video about EDM310 for Dummies was funny. I liked the humor that was involved even though the video was serious. I have not had the issues that the students in the video had with the class but I can see how it is completely possible.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I agree with you that everything we do is used by some sort of multimedia. I haven't turned in a hand written paper in forever. I am pretty sure it's not even allowed anymore! I still go to the library but it is only to study. I have not gotten a book from the library and don't ever think to because the internet is right here! I remember when we got the computer at my house it was, like you said, a privilege. I am a nanny for two girls that are 4 and 6 and they own iTouches and also know how to work the iPad. I know my mom works at the Mobile Press Register and they are doing a lot of things with online stories/advertisements and so forth. I agree with you on both videos. The EDM310 for Dummies was funny! Very humorous even though very serious! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Regina,

    I agree that multimedia writing has really taken its place in the world of work and business today. So that gives us as educators even more reason to use technology and help students understand that it will be a part of their lives.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete